Phone: +7 (812) 328-07-12
Phone/fax: +7 (812) 323-29-06
Julia KUPINA, Candidate of Sciences, Deputy Director, Head of the Department.
Ksenia VOZDIGAN, senior specialist (exhibitions).
A special department in charge of the development and management of primarily international exhibition projects of the MAE RAS (Kunstkamera, was established in May 2000 as Department of Foreign Relations and Exhibitions. In 2003, it was renamed Exhibition Department.
The large scope exhibition projects’ preparation, from selecting objects to management of their conservation, issue of printed materials and publications on the exhibitions, and legal registration and documenting, required coordination of the Museum’s various services and broad cooperation with many partners of the Museum in and outside Russia. Public relations and management of the Museum’s intellectual property were also included in the Department’s range of functions. Since 2002, the Department staff have been actively working for implementation of temporary and permanent exhibitions of the MAE RAS. Among the important functions of the Department is providing access to the Museum’s collections for filming and photography, granting rights to publication of the Museum’s collections, informational support for the Museum’s exhibition and publication projects, and dealing with sponsors and foundations. Julia Kupina has served as the Head of the Department since its establishment, who is simultaneously Deputy Director of the MAE RAS.
In recent years, the Department staff have published the following articles:
- Kupina J. A. Nenapisannaya kniga: nauchnoye naslediye Nikulshina [An unwritten book: Scientific heritage of Nikulshin] // Polevye issledovaniya MAE RAN. St. Petersburg: MAE RAN, 2006, pp. 94–102.
- Kupina J. A. Ptitsy: zrimye obrazy i skrytyi smysl narodnoi kultury (razmyshleniya o kontseptsii vystavki) [Birds: Visible images and hidden meaning of folk culture (Reflections on the exhibition concept] // Radlovskiyechteniya 2005: Tezisydokladov. St. Petersburg, 2005, pp. 191-199.
- Kupina J. A. Utraty ili priobreteniya? (Istoriya kollektsionnykh obmenov MAE RAN s amerikanskimi muzeyami) [Losses or gains? (History of collection exchanges between the MAE RAS and US museums] // Kurier Petrovskoi Kunstkamery. St. Petersburg, 2004. Issue 10–11, pp. 52–85.
- Kupina J. A. Traditsii v vitrinakh: sibirskie kollektsii MAE na zarubezhnykh vystavkakh [Traditions in showcases: The MAE Siberian collections at foreign exhibitions] // 285 let Peterburgskoi Kunstkamere. Materialy itogovoi nauchnoi konferentsii MAE RAN, posvyaschennoi 285-letiyu Kunstkamery [St. Petersburg Kunstkamera is 285 years old. Materials of the final scientific conference of the MAE RAS dedicated to the 285th anniversary of the Kunstkamera]. (Sbornik MAE, vol. XLVIII). St. Petersburg, 2001, pp. 214–226.
- Kupina J. A. Osnovnye printsipy litsenzirovaniya muzeinykh obrazov [Basic principles of museum image licensing] // Materialy konferentsiiEVA 2001 Moskva (3–8 dek. 2001 g.) “Kulturnoyenaslediyedlyavsekh: novyetekhnologiivmuzeyakh, galereyakh, bibliotekakhiarkhivakh” [MaterialsoftheEVA 2001 MoscowConference (December 3-8, 2001) “Culturalheritageforall: Newtechnologiesinmuseums, galleries, libraries, andarchives]. Moscow, 2001, pp. 1611-1613.
- Kupina J. A. Interpretatsiya i vospriyatiye arkheologicheskogo materiala na vystavkakh [Interpretation and perception of archeological material at exhibitions] // MuzeiiarkhelogicheskoyenaslediyeRossii. St. Petersburg: MAE RAN, 2006, pp. 3–16.
- Janes M. A. Fotoillyustrativnye kollektsii otdela Yuzhnoi i Yugo-Zapadmoi Azii MAE RAN [Illustrative photo collections of the South and Southwest Asia Department of the MAE RAS] // Radlovskiyechteniya 2006: Tezisydokladov. St. Petersburg, 2006, pp. 91–96.
- Janes M. A. Ovtsevodstvo v Kashkadaryinskoi stepi (na primere khozyaistva arabov kishlaka Djeinau) [Sheep farming in the Kashkadarya Steppe (example of farming by the Arabs of Djeinau village] // Radlovskiy sbornik. Nauchnye issledovaniya i muzeinye proekty MAE RAN v 2007 g. St. Petersburg: MAE RAN, 2008, pp. 237–244.
- Janes M. A. Klavdiya Leontievna Zadykhina — etnograf, issledovatel Srednei Azii i Kazakhstana. K 100-letiyu so dnya rozhdeniya [Klavdiya Leontievna Zadykhina: Ethnographer and Explorer of Central Asia and Kazakhstan. For the 100th anniversary of the birthday] // Antropologicheskiy forum, 2007, No. 7. St. Petersburg, 2007, pp. 455–460.
- Janes M. A. Fanya Davydovna Lyushkevich [Fanya Davydovna Lyushkevich] // Antropologicheskiyforum, 2008, No. 8, St. Petersburg, 2008, pp. 467–469.
- Janes M. A. Vklad I. N. Vinnikova v istoryu izucheniya arabskogo naseleniya Uzbekistana [Contribution of I. N. Vinnikov to the history of study of the Arab population of Uzbekistan] // VestnikSankt-Peterburgskogouniversiteta. Series 9. Issue 3. Part II. St. Petersburg, 2008, pp. 281–291.
- Janes M. A. Traditsionnaya sistema pitaniya arabov kishlaka Djeilau (Uzbekistan) [Traditional nutrition system of the Arabs of Djeilau village, Uzbekistan] // PolevyeissledovaniyaMAERAN. St. Petersburg: MAE RAN, 2008. Issue 8, pp. 80-96.
- Janes M. A. Uvlecheniya sovremennykh gorozhanok: khobbi ili remeslo? [Crazes of today’s city women: A hobby or an occupation?] / Х Kongress etnografov i antropologov Rossii. Tezisy dokladov. Moscow, July 2-5, 2013. – Moscow: IEA RAN, 2013, pp. 125. ISBN 978-5-4211-0087-4
- Janes M. A. Voilochnye kollektsii Kunstkamery [Felt collections of the Kunstkamera] / Felt Fashion. No. 1, 2013. – St. Petersburg: 2013, pp. 50-53.
- Vozdigan K. M. Narodnoye iskusstvo madhubani i Malaya traditsiya induizma [Madhubani folk art and the Minor Tradition of Hinduism] // Vestnik Sankt-Peterburgskogo gosudarstevennogo universiteta. Ser. 13. Vostokovedeniye, afrikanistika. 2012. Series13, Issue 3, pp. 82-92.
- Vozdigan K. M. Nastennaya zhivopis ratkhvov Gudjarata: remeslo ili ritual [Wall paintings o Gujarat Rathwa: Craft of Rite] // IX KongressetnografoviantropologovRossii. Tezisy dokladov. Petrozavodsk, 2011, pp. 348-349.
- Vozdigan K. M. O sootnoshenii velikoi i maloi traditsii induizma (na primere ritualnykh rospisei madhubani) [On the correlation of the major and minor tradition in Hinduism (example of Madhubani ritual paintings)] // IX KongressetnografoviantropologovRossii. Tezisydokladov. Petrozavodsk, 2011, p. 318.
- Vozdigan K. M. “Narisovannyi tekst": rospisi pitkhoro indiyskogo plemeni ratkhva kak visualnyi narrativ (na osnove polevogo materiala 2012 g.) [“Painted text”: Pithoro paintings of the Indian Rathwa tribe as visual narrative (on the basis of the 2012 field material] // Vizualnaya antropologiya: Rossiyskoye pole. VI Moskovskiy mezhdunarodnyi festival i konferentsiya vizualnoi antropologii “Kamera-posrednik [Visual anthropology: Russian field. 6th Moscow international festival and “Camera as Inermediary” conference of visual anthropology]. Moscow: IEA RAN, 2012, pp. 99-111.
- Vozdigan K. M. “Okhota na vedm”: zhenschiny v religioznoi zhizni malykh narodov Indii [Witch hunting: Women in the religious life of smaller peoples of India] // Radlovskiy sbornik. Nauchnye issledovaniya i muzeinye proekty MAE RAN v 2012 g. St. Petersburg, 2013, pp. 335-345.
- Vozdigan K. M. Znacheniye I funktsii rituala Panghu u plemeni ratkhva [Meaning and functions of the Panghu rite of the Rathwa tribe] // Zografskiysbornik. Issue 2 / Publication editor: Ya. V. Vasilkov. St Petersburg: MAE RAN, 2011, 242 pp., pp. 115-122.
- Vozdigan K. M. Zoomorfnye obrazy v iskusstve plemeni varli [Zoomorphic images in the art of the Warli tribe] // TrudyGosudarstvennogomuzeyaistoriireligii. Issue 12. St. Petersburg, 2012, pp. 141-148.
- Vozdigan K. M. “Zastyvshiy mif”: obrazy zhivotnykh i bogov v nastennykh rospisyakh plemeni ratkhva [“A stll myth:” Images of animals and gods in wall paintings of the Rathwa tribe] // BestiariyII. ZoomorfizmyAzii: dvizhenievovremeni. St. Petersburg: MAE RAN, 2012, pp. 165-180.
- Vozdigan K. M. Syuzhety o zhivotnykh v iskusstve plemeni varli [Animal subjects in the art of the Warli tribe]. // Bestiariy II. ZoomorfizmyAzii: dvizhenievovremeni. St. Petersburg: MAE RAN, 2012, pp. 180-188.
- Vozdigan K. M. Magiko-religioznye funktsii bhagata u indiyskogo plemeni varli [Bhagata magic and religious functions of the Warli tribe, India] // Sedmayamezhdunarodnayavstokovednayakonferentsiya (Torchinovskiyechteniya). Metamorfozy. Chastvtoraya [SeventhInternationalOrientalConference (TorchinovReadings). Metamorphoses. PartTwo]. St. Petersburg, 2013, pp. 162-171.
- Vozdigan K. M. Tsentry issledovaniya plemennoi kultury v Indii i ikh osnovnye funktsii (polevye dannye 2013) [Centers of tribal culture study in India and their basic functions (2013 field data)] // Radlovskiy sbornik. Nauchnye issledovaniya i muzeinye proekty MAE RAN v 2013 g. St. Petersburg, 2014, pp. 353-362.
- Vozdigan K. M. Iskusstvo plemeni varli za predelami ritualnogo prostranstva: D. S. Mashe i yego rabota v sobranii MAE. K istorii yevropeiskogo priznaniya plemennogo iskusstva Indii [Art of the Warli tribe beyond the ritual space: J. S. Mashe and his works in the MAE collection. More on the history of European recognition of India’s tribal art] // Yevropeiskoye kulturnoye prostranstvo. Sbornik MAE [European cultural space. AMAEcollection] / Publication editor: A. A. Novik. Vol. 58. St. Petersburg: Nauka, 2013, pp. 450-463.
To collect today’s ethnographic material for exhibition projects, the Department staff conduct field research. In recent years, the MAE RAS have launched such expeditions jointly with the Vapriikki museum center (Tampere, Finland) in Yamalo-Nenets Autonomous Okrug (2002), in Tikhvin and Podporozhye Districts of Leningrad Oblast, and in the Republic of Karelia (2003); also, in Uzbekistan jointly with the Stanford University (USA) office in Russia in 2004; and in Ust-Tsilma settlement (Republic of Komi, Russia, 2010). Such expeditions helping to see the life and culture of various peoples are very fruitful for many specialists engaged in exhibition projects.
THE MUSEUM’S TOPICS HAVE BEEN DISCUSSED AT THE FOLLOWING SCIENTIFIC CONFERENCES
- XVIII All-Russian scientific conference of young scientists “Path of the East. Culture. Religion. Politics.” April 23–25, 2015. Report “Multicolored Orissa: Some Visual Characteristics of the Urban Environment of Bhubaneswar” – K. M. Vozdigan.
- XXXVI Zograph’s Readings: Traditional Indian Text Interpretation Problems. St. Petersburg, May 25-27, 2015. MAE RAS, IOM RAS, St. Petersburg University. Report “On Some Features of the Osakothi Paintings (State of Orissa)” – K. M. Vozdigan.
- 1st International Scientific Conference on Modern Oriental Art. Moscow, October 6-9, 2015. State Institute for Art Studies, Russian Academy of Arts, Moscow Museum of Modern Art, State Museum of the Orient, and Higher School of Economics. Report “Decontextualization Problem: Pictorial Traditions of Indian Tribes and Current Art” – K. M. Vozdigan.
- XXXVII Zograph’s Readings: Traditional Indian Text Interpretation Problems. St. Petersburg, May 11-13, 2016. MAE RAS, IOM RAS, St. Petersburg University. Report “Representation of the Adivasi Image in Popular Indian Films” – K. M. Vozdigan.
- XIX All-Russian scientific conference of young scientists “Path of the East. Culture. Religion. Politics.” Institute of Philosophy of the St. Petersburg University. April 28-29, 2016. Report “Cinema’s Image of India’s Tribes in Today’s Ethnic Mainstream.” – K. M. Vozdigan.
- KUNST/CAMERA: The art of cinema and intercultural dialogue. MAE RAS, Institute of Philosophy of the St. Petersburg University. St. Petersburg, November 14–16, 2016. Moderator of the Animation and Cinema and Oriental Cinema sections (jointly with N. V. Kazurova), and of the Student section (jointly with N. V. Kazurova) – K. M. Vozdigan.
- Virtual Systems and Multimedia 2008. 14th international conference. Virtual Systems and Multimedia Association, European Union, UNESCO, Government of the Republic of Cyprus. Limassol, Cyprus, October 20–25, 2008. J. A. Kupina.
- ICOM General Conference and ICME meetings (Shanghai, November 2010). — J. A. Kupina.
- Ethnographical Museums in Today’s World. IV scientific seminar of the RIME project. Museo de América, Madrid, April 12-14, 2011. Presentation of the report “Catalogues of Ethnographical Collections on the Culture of North American Indigenous Peoples in the MAE RAS (Kunstkamera) — J. A. Kupina.
- IX Congress of Russian Ethnographers and Anthropologists (Petrozavodsk, July 4-8, 2011) Presentation of the report “Ethnographic Collection Catalogue: Crisis of the Genre and Dialogue with the Reader” in the section “Issues of collection, preservation, and presentation of ethnocultural heritage in Russian museums” — J. A. Kupina.
- Current Trends in the Development of Museums and Museology. Novosibirsk, October 3-5, 2011. Presentation of the report “Museum Collection Catalogues: History and Prospects of the Genre.” — J. A. Kupina.
- International scientific practical conference “Music of the Silk Road and Peacemaking Prospects of Central Asia: For the 100th anniversary of Ziyodullo Shahidi.” Dushanbe, 16.03-24.03.2016. Presentation of the report “Music and Museum. The Role of Museums in the Preservation and Development of the Musical Culture of the Silk Road” — J. A. Kupina.
- International scientific practical conference “Training and Education in a Museum: New Global and National Strategies in the 21st Century.” Samarkand, Uzbekistan, 16.05.-19.05.2016. Presentation of the plenary paper “Communication Model of a 21st Century Museum: Example of Current Information and Educational Projects of the Peter the Great Museum of Anthropology and Ethnography (Kunstkamera) of the RAS.” Presentation of the report “Communication Model of a 21st Century Museum: Current Projects of the MAE RAS (Kunstkamera)” — J. A. Kupina.
- An ICOM training workshop for museum professionals of Uzbekistan. Samarkand, 19.05-22.05.2016 — J. A. Kupina.
- ADIT-2016: “A Digital Era Museum. Abilities and Challenges.” 20th jubilee international scientific practical conference. Yelabuga, June 3 – June 12, 2016. Presentation of the report “The Third Millennium Kunstkamera: Tatiana Bogomazova’s Project” — J. A. Kupina
- International scientific practical conference “A Museum Exhibition in Cultural Time and Space.” St. Petersburg University, State Hermitage. April 14-16, 2016. Presentation of the report “Integration of a Museum's Resources in Exhibition Space: Dilemmas and Prospects of the Kunstkamera in the Third Millennium” — J. A. Kupina
- International scientific conference “The Turning Circle: Art and Indigeneity in Alaska.” Boulogne-sur-Mer, Paris, 24.06-28.06, 2016. Presentation of the report “Creating the Mutual Heritage: North America Collections and St. Petersburg Kunstkamera” (in co-authorship with Yu. K. Chistov). — J. A. Kupina.
- Intermuseum. XVIII International Museum Festival. Moscow, May 13-16, 2016. Report “The Third Millennium Kunstkamera: New Communication Strategy, Museum Rebranding, Educational Online Resource, and the Kunstkamera Y Project” — J. A. Kupina.
- Scientific practical seminar “Today’s Corporate Museum. Socio-Educational Programs and Development Strategy.” Sponsors: Rosatom and ICOM of Russia. Presentation of the report “The Third Millennium Kunstkamera: Communication Model of an Academic Museum.” Sarov, October 27-29, 2016. — J. A. Kupina.
- Participation in the program of the international museum exchanges “Museum Invasion. Russia-Germany” and “Museum Invasion. Russia-USA.” Sponsors: Vladimir Potanin Charity Foundation, Robert Bosch Stiftung, and St. Petersburg PRO ARTE Charity Foundation for Culture. April-May 2016. — J. A. Kupina.
- Participation in the program of the international museum exchange “Museum Invasion. Russia-Germany” sponsored by the Vladimir Potanin Charity Foundation and Robert Bosch Stiftung in partnership with the PRO ARTE Foundation and Goethe-Institut Berlin, with contribution by the State Center of Modern Art and support by the RF Ministry of Culture. April 17-24, 2016. — J. A. Kupina.
- Cultural Heritage of Uzbekistan: A Path to Dialogue between Peoples and Countries. International congress, Tashkent and Samarkand, May 14-17, 2017 — J. A. Kupina.
- XIX International Intermuseum 2017 Festival. Speaker of the business program of the Museum Guide forum sponsored by the Vladimir Potanin Charity Foundation as part of the 19th Intermuseum 2017 International Festival, May 25–29, 2017, Moscow. — J. A. Kupina.
- IX Congress of Russian Ethnographers and Anthropologists, Petrozavodsk, July 4-8, 2011. Report “Today’s Fabrics of Ancient Margilan (following the 2010 field mission)” - M. A. Janes.
- The Art of Islamic World Conference (Krakow, Poland, 2009).Report “Arabian women’s nose decorations from Uzbekistan” - M. A. Janes.
- Islam in and Outside Russia: History, Society, and Culture. International conference dedicated to the 100th anniversary of the death of Sheikh Batal Hajji Belkhoroev, a prominent religious figure. Magas, Republic of Ingushetia, October 22-24, 2011. Report “Traditional Carpets of Uzbekistan’s Arabs (example of Djeinau village)” - M. A. Janes.
- Photography in a Museum international conference, Rosfoto, October 2-4, 2012. Report “Photo collections of the Baloch team of the Central Asian Ethnological Expedition of the USSR Academy of Sciences” - M. A. Janes.
- Fashion and Design: Historical Experience and New Technologies, scientific conference. SPGUTD, St. Petersburg, 2012. Report “Fabrics of the Fergana Valley” - M. A. Janes.
- Member, panel of the First Open Festival of Traditional Dolls, North-Western Federal District (November 4-8, 2015). Sponsors: Committee for Culture of Leningrad Oblast, LO GBUK Folk Art House, St. Petersburg Polytechnic University, St. Petersburg Museum of Vocational Education History - M. A. Janes.
Grants, Further Training Programs
The Department staff have participated in several skill upgrading programs in and outside Russia, and taught at various skill upgrading courses and seminars:
- Julia Kupina: Certificate of the Open Postgraduate Courses of the European University in St. Petersburg for the program “Management in Culture” — 2001.
- Julia Kupina: Diploma of the RF President Federal Program for Managerial Human Resources Training and the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency — 2002.
- Julia Kupina: Diploma of the Getty Museum Management Institute (Los Angeles, USA) — 2003.
- Maria Janes: Practical training at the Russian Museum of Ethnography in “Restoration of museum objects from ethnographical collections.” Certificate issued - 2012.
- Maria Janes: Skill upgrading practical training in “Exhibition multimedia: Ideas, scenarios, technology, and logic development” (at the State Museum of the History of Religion) (April 23-25, 2014, St. Petersburg).
- Vozdigan K. M. – Researcher under RFBR Grant No. 13-06-00794 “Segregation and Encapsulation as Mechanisms of Formation of Caste-Like Ethnosocial Communities” (supervisor: Ye. N. Uspenskaya).
PROJECT AND PROGRAM APPRAISAL
- “Preservation of Ethnographical Collections and Development of Museums in Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan,” a UNESCO project (2006–2008) — J. A. Kupina.
- “Development and Implementation of an Electronic Catalogue of Tajikistan’s Museums,” a UNESCO Project (2007–2008) — J. A. Kupina.
- “Professional Training of Uzbekistan’s Museum Professionals” (2009-2011), a UNESCO Project — J. A. Kupina.
- “Running a Museum – 21st Century,” a UNESCO Project. Skill upgrade of CIS countries’ museum personnel (2008–2009) — J. A. Kupina.
- Grant competition of the Museum Guide program of the Vladimir Potanin Charity Foundation (2016-2017) – J. A. Kupina.
- Member, Expert Panel of the international tender for the development of the concept of a space planning solution for the Museum and Exhibition Center of the Siege and Defense of Leningrad invited by the City Planning and Architecture Committee, Government of St. Petersburg (museum technologies expert) (2017) – J. A. Kupina.
- Member, UNESCO working group for the development of a manual for member countries’ reports on the use of recommendations for the promotion and protection of museums and collections, and their diversity and role in society (2017) – J. A. Kupina.