Department of Caucasus
Address: 3, Universitetskaya nab., St.-Petersburg, 199034
Phone: +7 (812) 328-08-12 (ext. 408)
Makka ALBOGACHIEVA, Head of the Department, Candidate of Sciences, senior researcher (written sources on Ingushetia of the 18th – 21st century, features of polyjuridism in Ingushetia, ethnographic aspects of religious practices of the Ingushes, Ingush collections of the Museum, Islam in Ingushetia)
Tamara AIBA, Junior researcher, Technical secretary of the Dissertation Council
Yekaterina KAPUSTINA, Candidate of Sciences (ethnography of Dagestan, migration processes in the North Caucasus, transnationalism and translocality, economic anthropology, urban anthropology, local religious communities of Dagestan)
Yevgenia ZAKHAROVA, Master of Anthropology, junior researcher (anthropology of Georgia, anthropology of urban communities, legal anthropology, economic anthropology, kinship construction)
History of the Department
The history of the Department of the Caucasus of the MAE RAS should be related to the Caucasus Cabinet and the Caucasus Department established in the Institute of Anthropology, Archeology, and Ethnography of the USSR Academy of Sciences (predecessor of today’s MAE RAS) in 1936.
Prominent scientists, students of the Caucasus A. N. Genko (1896–1941) and L.B. Panek (1896–1984) worked in the department in the 1930s; L.I. Lavrov started his research activity at the same time.
In the post-war time, the Caucasus studies in the MAE were primarily associated with the name of Leonid Ivanovich Lavrov who was the department’s head for many years and wrote fundamental works on the history and ethnography of peoples of most of the North Caucasus. T.D. Ravdonikas, L.I. Smirnova, and E.H. Panesh were the department’s researchers who made a noticeable input into the studies of Caucasian peoples’ ethnography. Their major lines of research were issues of ethnic and social history, and evolution of material and spiritual culture of peoples of the Caucasus. In the 1970s–1980s, the Caucasian ethnographic studies in the Leningrad Division, Institute of Ethnography of the USSR Academy of Sciences were conducted within the framework of the Department of Central Asia, the Caucasus, and Kazakhstan.
Later, a Caucasian ethnography team was set up in the MAE RAS, which in 2002 became the Department of the Caucasus headed by Yuri Yurievich Karpov. Dr. Karpov directed the Department up to his death in 2015. A graduate of the ethnography and anthropology chair, Faculty of History of the LeningradUniversity, Yu.Yu. Karpov pursued postgraduate studies in 1981-1983, then worked in the Leningrad Division of the Institute of Ethnography, USSR Academy of Sciences, and later in the MAE RAS. In the relatively short period of his brilliant academic career he became a recognized classic in Caucasian studies at the turn of the 21st century. His studies of Caucasian societies are notable for their original approaches, coverage of a broad historical context, attention to detail, and use of a wide range of sources. Yu. Yu. Karpov wrote five monographs and over 200 articles. Being an excellent field researcher, he surveyed West and Southwest Dagestan, the mountain parts of Chechnya, Ingushetia and North Ossetia, and mountain areas of East Georgia where he not only collected unique field materials as a basis for his articles and monographs, but also noticeably augmented the collections of the MAE RAS. Yu. Yu. Karpov left an immense scientific heritage, the knowledge of which is a prerequisite for becoming a Caucasus student today, and laid a basis for further development of the Department of the Caucasus, MAE RAS.
ESSENTIAL TOPICS OF RESEARCH
The Department’s research of later years is dedicated to current social, cultural, and migration processes in the Caucasus, diasporal connections of migrants from the region, nationalism, history, and current realities of the ethnic policy in the Caucasus. The researchers work on topics related to urban anthropology, economic anthropology, legal anthropology, anthropology of religion, and anthropology of kinship.
PROJECTS OF THE DEPARTMENT AND PROJECTS INVOLVING THE DEPARTMENT’S RESEARCHERS
- Standing seminar “The Caucasus: A crossroads of cultures.” Supervisor: M. S.-G. Albogachieva.
- “History of the Kunstkamera: collections, collectors, and researchers (for the 300th anniversary of the Museum)”: “Peoples of the Caucasus: Museum collections and field materials.” Project starting and completion time: 2012–2016. Research advisor: M. S.-G. Albogachieva.
- Grant of the Russian Human Science Foundation [RHSF] No. 14-18-02149. Transnational and translocal aspects of migration in today’s Russia.” Project starting and completion time: 2014-2016. Research advisor: S. N. Abashin.
- RHSF No. 14-01-00440. Migration processes in the North-Eastern Caucasus: Ethnic connections and generation of migrant social networks in diasporas. Project starting and completion time: 2014-2016. Research advisor: M.-R. A. Ibragimov.
- Ethnicity in state and political practices. Area: “Ethnicity and potestary political institutions in historical dynamics.” Project starting and completion time: 2012–2014. Supervisor: V. A. Popov.
- History of everyday life: Ethnic, cultural, and confessional contexts. Area: “Cross-cultural studies of social categories. Cycle 1. “Status groups.” Project starting and completion time: 2012 – 2014. Research advisor: Ye. N. Uspenskaya.
- Ethnic history and cultural heritage of ancient and modern nations of the world. Area: “Gender, age, and kinship in the context of ritual.” Project starting and completion time: 2012–2014. Research advisor: T. B. Schepanskaya.
- Fundamental research program of the Presidium of the RussianAcademy of Sciences “Tradition, custom, and rite in history and culture.” “Mountains, people, and borders: Invention and use of traditions in highland communities in the post-Soviet space.” Project starting and completion time: 2012–2014. Research advisor: Yu. Yu. Karpov.
- Program of the Southern Research Center, RAS “Management of the polyethnic macroregion of Russia: Historical experience and current problems": Between regionalism and centralism: Administrative practices in the North Caucasus in the context of the “ethnic problem” in late imperial Russia (2nd half of the 19th and early 20th c.) Project starting and completion time: 2012–2014. Research advisor: Yu. Yu. Karpov.
- RHSF No. 12-01-00052 “Non-Slav problem and ethnic policy of the Soviet state in the North Caucasian periphery in the 1880s-1930s: Evolution of problems and solutions” (monograph jointly with Dr. E. I. Kobakhidze). Project starting and completion time: 2012 – 2014. Research advisor: Yu. Yu. Karpov.
- RHSF Grant 12-21-20001 “Russia and Armenia: Lessons of the past and current prospects.” Project starting and completion time: 2012 – 2013. Research advisor: S. A. Shtyrkov
- Collective project of the Department of the Caucasus, MAE RAS “Potential of ethnocultural relations in the urban environment of the North Caucasian region.” Project starting and completion time: 2009-2011. Research advisor: Yu. Yu. Karpov.
- Grant of the Presidium of the RAS “Historical and cultural heritage and spiritual values of Russia.” Topic: “Diasporal connections and social networks of residents of the Republic of Dagestan as a political and social resource in the urban space” (Collective project of the Department of the Caucasus, MAE RAS “Potential of ethnocultural relations in the urban environment of the North Caucasian region”). Project starting and completion time: 2009-2011. Research advisor: Yu. Yu. Karpov.
- RHSF Grant “Migration processes in Dagestan in the mid-20th and early 21st century: their social and ethnocultural consequences and prospects.” Project starting and completion time: 2008–2010. Research advisor: Yu. Yu. Karpov
- lbogachieva M. Blood feud in Ingushetia: differences in adat and sharia// State and Legal Practice in the Caucasus. Anthropological Perspectives on Law and Politics. Edited by Stéphane Voell, Iwona Kaliszewska, Ashgate, 2015
- Albogachieva M. S.-G. “I am entrusted with only prayer beads by Allah, and i will take a dagger nor a rifle in my hands” (Kunta-Hajji Kishiev, his preaching and followers)// Manuscripta Orientalia. International Journal for Oriental Manuscript Research. 2011. Т. 17. № 2. P. 13 - 20.
- Kapustina E. Municipal elections in Dagestan: political events in a village community // State and Legal Practice in the Caucasus. Anthropological Perspectives on Law and Politics. Edited by Stéphane Voell, Iwona Kaliszewska, Ashgate, 2015
- Karpov Yu. The Dialectics of Nation-state Construction in the North Caucasus in the 1920s–30s // State and Legal Practice in the Caucasus. Anthropological Perspectives on Law and Politics. Edited by Stéphane Voell, Iwona Kaliszewska, Ashgate, 2015
- Shtyrkov S. The Fight between Ases and Devas Runs through Our Whole Existence’: The Conspirological Imaginary of North Ossetian Intellectuals and the Search for Meaning in National History // Forum for Anthropology and Culture, 2016. #12, 229-252.
- Zakharova E. The Tbilisi ‘street’ as a legal and political phenomenon in Georgia. The Dialectics of Nation-state Construction in the North Caucasus in the 1920s–30s // State and Legal Practice in the Caucasus. Anthropological Perspectives on Law and Politics. Edited by Stéphane Voell, Iwona Kaliszewska, Ashgate, 2015
- Albogachieva M. S.-G. Prazdnik Uraza-bairam v Ingushetii: Obscheye i spetsificheskoye [The Uraza Bayram feast in Ingushetia: The general and the specific]. // Islamvsovremennommire. 2016. 12(2): 31-46.
- Albogachieva M. S.-G. Etnografiya i istoriya ingushskogo naroda v pismennykh istochnikakh kontsa XVIII – pervoi treti XX v. [Ethnography and history of the Ingush people in written sources of the late 18th – first third of the 20th century]. St. Petersburg: MAE RAN, 2011, 177 pp.
- Albogachieva M. S.-G. Yazyk kak atribut vlasti v kontekste ingushsko-russkogo bilingvizma [Langaguage as an attribute of power in the context of Ingush-Russian bilingualism] // Archeion. VI. Tbilisi, 2013. С. 60-79
- Albogachieva M. S.-G. Demarkatsiya granits Ingushetii [Demarcation of the borders of Ingushetia] // Gory i granitsy — St. Petersburg: MAE RAN, 2015, pp.167-255
- Albogachieva M. S.-G. Osetino-ingushskiy konflikt: prichiny i posledstviya tragedii oseni 1992 goda [Ossetian-Ingush conflict: Origins and aftermath of the tragedy of the Autumn of 1992] // “Kavkaz Globalizatsiya” Zhurnal sotsialno-politicheskikh i ekonomicheskikh issledovaniy. Spetsialnyi vypusk: Konflikty na Kavkaze: istoriya, sovremennost i perspektivy uregulirovaniya. 2012. Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 48-60. CA&CCPress, Sweden
- Albogachieva M. S.-G. Osnovnye virdovye bratstva u ingushei [Principal Vird brotherhoods of the Ingush people] // Islam v sovremennom mire. 2015, No. 4, pp.133-151.
- Botyakov Yu. M. Abreki na Kavkaze. Sotsiokulturnyi aspekt yavleniya [Abreks in the Caucasus. Socio-cultural aspect of the phenomenon]. St. Petersburg: Peterburgskoye vostokovedenie, 2004, 208 pp.
- Botyakov Yu. M. Granitsa v Abkhazii: etnokulturnyi aspekt [Borders in Abkhazia: Ethnocultural Aspect] //Goryigranitsy. St. Petersburg, 2015, pp. 26-75.
- Botyakov Yu. M. Proyavleniya sistemy organizatsii abkhazskogo obschestva v usloviyakh sovremennogo goroda (na primere Sukhuma) [Manifestations of the Abkhazian social organization in today’s urban conditions (the case of Sukhum) // Kavkazskiy gorod: potentsial etnokulturnykh svyazei v urbanisticheskoi srede. St. Petersburg, 2013, pp. 206-246.
- Botyakov Yu. M. Traditsionnoye parlamenterstvo v gody gruzino-abkhazskoi voiny 1992-1993 [Traditional truce envoys during the 1992-1993 Georgian-Abkhaz war] // Obschestvokakobyektisubyektvlasti. OcherkipoliticheskoiantropologiiKavkaza. St. Petersburg, 2012.
- Güldenstädt J. A. Puteshestviye po Kavkazu v 1770–1773 gg. [Travel in the Caucasus in 1770-1773] / Translated by T. K. Shafranovskaya; edited and commented by Yu. Yu. Karpov. St. Petersburg: Peterburgskoye vostokovedenie, 2002, 506 pp.
- Zakharova Ye. Yu. Tbilisskaya ulitsa kak sreda muzhskoi sotsializatsii [The streets of Tbilisi as a male socialization environment] // Laboratorium. Zhurnal sotsialnykh issledovaniy. Yuzhnyi Kavkaz. Novye issledovaniya. St. Petersburg, 2010, No. 2, pp. 182-204
- Zakharova Ye. Yu. Druzhba i rodstvo v kvartalakh Tbilisi: imperativy i praktiki [Friendship and kinship in the neighborhoods of Tbilisi: Imperatives and practices] // Etnograficheskoyeobozreniye. 2015, No. 5, pp. 100-116.
- Zakharova Ye. Yu. Zhizneobespecheniye na gornykh rubezhakh: strategii domokhozyaistv Verkhebalskoi Svaneti v usloviyakh turisticheskogo razvitiya regiona [Sustainment at mountain borders: Strategies of households of Upper Bal Svaneti in response to touring development in the region] // Goryigranitsy — St. Petersburg: MAE RAN, 2015, pp. 120-166.
- Zakharova Ye. Yu. Lokalnaya solidarnost: muzhskiye kvartalnye birzhi goroda Tbilisi kak chast sosedskikh soobschestv [Local solidarity: Male exchanges in neighborhoods of the city of Tbilisi] / Kavkazskiygorod: potentsialetnokulturnykhsvyazeivurbanisticheskoisrede. St. Petersburg, 2013.
- Zakharova Ye. Yu. Chornyi matsoni: pragmatika tbilisskogo ulichnogo kodeksa [Black matsoni: Pragmatism of the Tbilisi street code] // Antropologicheskiyforum. 2016, No. 31, pp. 25-62.
- Zakharova Ye. Yu., Kapustina Ye. L. Ekonomika balkarskikh Alp v kontekste zemelnykh i mezhetnicheskikh otnosheniy (primer odnogo sela) [Economy of the Balkar Alps in the context of land and interethnic relations (example of one village]. // Frontier. Dvadtsat let bez kolkhozov. Moscow, 2013, pp. 66-79.
- Ingushi. Seriya “Narody i kultury” [Ingushes. “Peoples and cultures” series] / Publication editors: M. S.-G. Albogachieva, A. M. Martazanov, L. T. Solovyova, Moscow: Nauka, 2013, 509 pp.
- Kavkazskiy gorod: potentsial etnokulturnykh svyazei v urbanisticheskoi srede [The Caucasian city: Potential of ethnocultural relations in the urban environment]. St. Petersburg: MAE RAN, St. Petersburg, 2013, publication editor: Yu. M. Botyakov. 432 pp.
- Kapustina Ye. L. Rynok islamskikh tovarov i uslug v Dagestane: praktiki potrebleniya i obschestvennye diskussii [Market of Islamic goods and services in Dagestan: Consumption prctices and public discussions] // Gosudarstvo. Religiya. Tserkov v Rossii i za rubezhom. RANKhiGS No. 2 (34), 2016, pp. 176-202.
- Kapustina Ye. L. Andiyskiye sela: opyt pogranichnoi zhizni [The Andi villages: Experience of frontier life] // Goryigranitsy: etnografiyaposttraditsionnykhsoobschestv. St. Petersburg, 2015, pp. 76-120.
- Kapustina Ye. L. Vybory v selskom Dagestane: politicheskoye sobytiye kak element sotsialnoi zhizni [Elections in rural Dagestan: Political event as a component of social life] // Obschestvokaksubyektiobyektvlasti. OcherkipoliticheskoiantropologiiKavkaza. St. Petersburg, 2012, pp. 32-60.
- Kapustina Ye. L. Sobstvennost na sever: migranty iz Dagestana i osvoeniye gorodskogo prostranstva v Zapadnoi Sibiri (na primere situatsii v g. Surgut) [Property to the north: Migrants from Dagestan and exploration of urban space in West Siberia (the case of the situation in Surgut] // Zhurnalsotsiologiiisotsialnoiantropologii. 2014, No. 5, 158-176.
- Kapustina Ye. L., Gulyaeva Ye. Yu. Svoyeobraziye etnicheskoi palitry i osobennosti ekonomicheskikh strategii sel Vostochnogo Stavropolya [Distinctness of the ethnic gamut and features of economic strategies in villages of EastStavropolTerritory] // Frontier. Dvadtsatletbezkolkhozov. Moscow, 2013, pp. 40-65.
- Kapustina Ye. L., Karpov Yu. Yu. Gortsy posle gor: migratsionnye protsessy v Dagestane v XX – nachale XXI v., ikh sotsiokulturnye posledstviya i perspektivy [The mountaineers after the mountains: Migration processes in Dagestam in the 20th – early 21st century, and their socio-cultural consequences and prospects]. St. Petersburg, 2011, 488 pp.
- Karpov Yu. Yu. Vzglyad na gortsev. Vzglyad s gor. Mirovozzrencheskiye aspekty kultury i sotsialnyi opyt gortsev Dagestana [A glance at the mountaineers. A glance from the mountains. Worldview aspects and social experience of the mountaineers of Dagestan]. St. Petersburg: Peterburgskoye vostokovedenie, 2007, 656 pp.
- Karpov Yu. Yu. Dzhigit i volk. Muzhskiye soyuzy v sotsiokulturnoi traditsii gortsev Kavkaza [A jigit and a wolf. Men’s unions in the socio-cultural tradition of Caucasian mountaineers]. St. Petersburg: DEAN+ADIAM-M, 1996, 312 pp.
- Karpov Yu. Yu. Zhenskoye prostranstvo v culture narodov Kavkaza [Female space in the culture of Caucasian peoples]. St. Petersburg: Peterburgskoye vostokovedenie, 2001, 414 pp.
- Karpov Yu. Yu. Borba pluga i ovtsy. Nekotorye aspekty kolonizatsionnykh protsessov v stepnykh raionakh Severo-Vostochnogo Kavkaza v noveisheye vremya [“Struggle of plough and sheep.” Some aspects of the colonization processes in the steppe areas of the North-East Caucasus in modern times // Materialy polevykh issledovaniy MAE RAN. St. Petersburg, 2011, pp. 7–30.
- Karpov Yu.Yu. Aleksandr Nurid: gorets na sluzhbe imperii [Alexander Nurid: A mountaineer in the Empire’s service] // IzvestiyaSevero-OsetinskogoInstitutagumanitarnykhisotsialnykhissledovaniy. 2012. Issue 7 (46). pp. 95-104.
- Karpov Yu. Yu. Kizlyar kak zerkalo rossiyskoi istorii Kavkaza [Kizlyar as a mirror of the Russian history of the Caucasus] // Kavkazskiy gorod: potentsial etnokulturnykh svyazei v urbanisticheskoi srede. St. Petersburg, 2013, pp. 38–110.
- Karpov Yu. Yu. Natsionalnyi resurs v politike gosudarstva: dialogi tsentra i avtonomiy Severnogo Kavkaza v 1920–1930-e gg. [Ethnic resource in the governmental policy: Dialogues of the center and the North Caucasian autonomies in the 1920s-1930s] // Obschestvo kak subyekt i obyekt vlasti. Ocherki politicheskoi antropologii Kavkaza. St. Petersburg, 2012, pp. 299–375.
- Karpov Yu. Yu. Osobennosti sotsialno-politicheskoi zhizni gorskikh obschestv Dagestana v nachale XIX v. v kontekste nauchnogo osmysleniya Kavkazskoi voiny [Feature of the socio-political life of mountaineer societies of Dagestan in the context of realization of the Caucasian War] // Cherkesskiy vopros: Opyt, problemy, perspektivy nauchnogo osmysleniya. Nalchik, 2013, pp. 35–52.
- Lavrov L. I. The Ubykh people / Publication editor Yu. M. Botyakov. St. Petersburg: Nauka, 2009, 236 pp.
- Ob Ingushetii i ingushakh: Sb. materialov gazety “Terskiye vedomosti” za 1879-1917 gg. [On Ingushetia and the Ingush people: A collection of materials of the Terskiye Vedomosti newspaper of 1879-1917] / Compiled by M. S.-G. Albogachieva. St. Petersburg: Ladoga, 2005. Issue 3. 432 pp.
- Ob Ingushetii i ingushakh: Sb. materialov gazety “Terskiye vedomosti” za 1868–1878 gg. [On Ingushetia and the Ingush people: A collection of materials of the Terskiye Vedomosti newspaper of 1868-1878] / Compiled by M. S.-G. Albogachieva. St. Petersburg: Ladoga, Borei-Art, 2003. Issue 2. 208 pp.
- Obschestvo kak obyekt i subyekt vlasti. Ocherki politicheskoi antropoplogii Kavkaza [Society as object and subject of power. Essays on the political anthropology of the Caucasus] / Publication editor: Yu. Yu. Karpov. St. Petersburg: Peterburgskoye vostokovedenie, 2012. 404 с.
- Severnyi Kavkaz: Traditsionnoye selskoye obschestvo — sotsialnye roli, obschestvennoye mneniye, vlastnye otnosheniya [North Caucasus: Traditional rural society: Social roles, public opinion, and relations of power] / Ed. by S. A. Shtyrkov. St. Petersburg: Nauka, 2007, 334 pp.
- Severnyi Kavkaz: Chelovek v sisteme sotsiokulturnykh svyazei [North Caucasus: A person in the system of socio-cultural relations] / Ed. by Yu. Yu. Karpov. St. Petersburg: Peterburgskoye vostokovedenie, 2004. 364 с.
- Traditsii narodov Kavkaza v menyayuschemsya mire: Preemstvennosti i razryvy v sotsiokulturnykh praktikakh. Sbornik statei k 100-letiyu L. I. Lavrova [Traditions of the Caucasian peoples in a changing world. Continuity and breaks in social practices. Collection of articles for the 100th anniversary of L. I. Lavrov] / Ed. by Yu. Yu. Karpov. St. Petersburg: Peterburgskoye vostokovedenie, 2010, 496 pp.
- Trudy F. I. Gorepekina [Works of F. I Gorepekin} / Compiled by M. S.-G. Albogachieva. St. Petersburg: Ladoga, 2006, 202 pp.
- Shtyrkov S. A. “Alanskaya knyazhna, knyaginya Vladimirskaya”: Mariya Yasynya, russko-osetinskiye svyazi I konservativnye semeinye tsennosti [“Alanian princess, Princess of Vladimir”: Maria Yasynya, Russian-Ossetian connections and conservative family values] // Gosudarstvo, religiya, tserkovvRossiiizarubezhom. 2016, No. 2, pp. 13-37.
- Shtyrkov S. A. “V gorode otkryt Dvorets schastya”: Borba za novuyu sovetskuyu obryadnst vremen Khruscheva [“A Palace of Happiness is opened in the city”: Struggle for new Soviet rites in the times of Khruschev] // Topograpfiyaschastya: etnograficheskiyekartymoderna: Sbornikstatei / Compiled by N. Ssorin-Chaikov. Moscow: Novoye literaturnoye obozreniye, 2013, pp. 261-275.
- Shtyrkov S. A. Predaniya ob inozemnm nashestvii: krestyanskiy narrativ i mifologiya landshafta (na materialakh Severo-Vostochnoi Novgorodchiny) [Legends of the foreign invasion: Peasant narrative and landscape mythology (based on materials from the north-west of Novgorod region]. St. Petersburg: Nauka, 2012.
- Shtyrkov S. A. Sovetskiye korni etnicheskogo traditsionalizma: sluchai Severnoi Osetii [Sovet roots of ethnic traditionalism: the case of North Ossetia] // Neprikosnovennyizapas. 2011, No. 4 (78), pp. 66-79.
- Shtyrkov S. A. “My perestupili chertu ada”: yevangelicheskoye vizionerstvo kak instrument sotsialnogo kontrolya [“We have crossed the line of hell”: Evangelical visionarism as a tool of social control] // Antropologicheskiyforum. 2013, No. 18, pp. 276-299